SPINAL HEALTH WEEK 21-27 MAY 2012.
Sit right and sit less for a healthy spine.
Do you spend most of your day sitting, whether it’s at work, in the car, on public transport, or watching TV? Well, you’re not alone. Australia is a nation of ‘sitters’ and its starting to take its toll on our health.
As part of Spinal Health Week 2012, your chiropractors will be encouraging patients and the community to prioritise their spinal health by sitting less and moving more.
The week heralds the launch of Sit Right, a national initiative that aims to encourage Australians to take note of the potentially dire health consequences from prolonged sitting.
Australians are spending more time than ever sitting which not only causes spinal damage and back pain, but increases the risk of disease and even death. Sit Right focuses on the dangers of long-term sitting, especially for office workers, and offers solutions for common ‘sitting sins.’
So why not improve your health simply by standing up and moving around more? It’s also important you take regular breaks from sitting to stretch, stand, change or correct your posture or walk around your office.
And while you are sitting, here are a few things to remember:
* Keep your hips, elbows and knees at open angles (slightly more than 90 degrees)
* Recline slightly to ease lower back pressure
* Ensure your feet are flat on the floor or on a footrest
* Position the centre of your computer screen at eye level and tilt the monitor upwards slightly
* Only use wrist rests while resting, not while typing
* Download the Sit Right widget on to your computer as a prompt for taking regular breaks www.SitRight.com.au
An active spine is a healthy spine and a healthy spine leads to a healthier life. Why not use Spinal Health Week to make an appointment with our clinic to assess your spinal health and discuss how being more active will improve your wellbeing? During the month of May VPCC will be conducting workplace health presentations to educate local businesses and their staff.