Posture affects us all in many different ways – from the way we look, to how our bodies function and our health. With so called good or optimal posture we look taller and more confident. We are able to breathe more efficiently. Less stress and strain is placed on our spines, and this in turn reduces irritation to our nervous systems. Our bodies function at their optimum.
So with proper posture, you’ll not only look and feel better, your body will also function better!
- When sitting or standing – try to imagine someone pulling on a piece of string attached to the top of your head. Imagine that they pull on the string until you’re upright but not rigidly straight.
- Working for extended periods of time in front of a computer can do as much damage to the spine as lifting heavy loads. Always take several breaks (every 20-30 minutes) from sitting – get up and walk around the office, do some stretches.
- Ensure your work station is set up adequately to take away any unnecessary strain from the spine.
- Try not to sit slumped on the lounge, better still—sit in a high-backed chair.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach
- See your Chiropractor for more information!