Support your back as you jump into 2014
Now that the traditional indulgence over Christmas and New Year has come to an end, many of you may be considering jumping into a new fitness regime to get back in shape. But before taking up a new gym membership or getting on the running track just yet, it is important to remember the basics of good spinal health. Otherwise, you may be putting yourself at risk of injury.
And that’s not how you want to start 2014.
To help our patients start the year on the right foot, we’ve released a new Healthy Spine Checklist that allows you to assess the health of your spine and identify any possible problems areas. For example, if any of the following points sound like you, your spine may need a helping hand to guide it back into shape.
Are you? . . .
- Having difficulty turning your head so that your chin makes it to your shoulder
- Struggling to bend down so your hands drop below your knees when your legs are straight
- Experiencing stiffness in your body and joints when waking up in the morning
- Feeling sore or stiff during walking
- Having difficulty putting socks and/or shoes on whilst standing
Remember: Your overall level of fitness can be affected by the health of your spine. Getting the basics right first – such as employing a correct posture, walking upright, having good nutrition – will give you the best chance of improving your health in 2014.